Friday, March 13, 2009

Humpback Whale



I was so excited when I found this pattern on Ravelry. When I found out my friend was pregnant, I wanted to make a whale for her because we took a Marine Mammals course together.

This was an easy pattern to follow. It took me awhile to finish because I had to take time to make sure each stitch was very tight. The sts had to be tight so that when you stuffed the whale, the stuffing wouldn't poke through.

I used safety eyes instead of sewing on beads as this was for a baby.

The detailing was probably the toughest part. It was difficult to get the mouth and ventral grooves just right. Especially because it was hard to see both sides of the head at the same time to make sure the mouth was even all around.

I used black embroidery thread for the mouth and a lighter blue yarn for the ventral grooves. Next time I make this, I will use embroidery thread for the grooves. The yarn was just a little too thick and it made it hard to fit the 5 lines.

The tail came out a bit bigger than I anticipated. I think this is because I didn't crochet as tightly as I did for the body.

This was fun to make and I will be making another one for my friend who is due in August with her first baby. She is a marine science teacher and will definitely appreciate this cute humpback whale.


No comments:

Post a Comment